Saturday, January 10, 2009

To promote or not to promote, that is the question...

I have been thinking about this topic alot lately, and my conclusion inevitabley ends up the same.  Our library needs to promote who we are and what we do.  And not only to our physical customers but to our potential virtual customers also. 

I read with interest David Lee King's post Ask a Librarian service needs a reboot, and the 41 - at time of writing - comments that were inspired by his post.  The notion of digital vs physical customer, and how our libraries serve, or fail to do so is at the heart of his post.

I then followed a link posted on my facebook this morning to a blog post from a digital initiatives librarian from the states:  DCPL iPhone application ready for download.  WOW.  How amazingly cool is that.  I am going to download the application (when I get my itunes back up and running as it crashed when I was trying to install stanza a new ebook reader app) and give it a workout.  I loved the very clean interface.  I will post more about this after I've tried it!)  So congratulations to DCPL for creating an application that can and will meet the needs of the very mobile, digital natives whose technological expectations/expertise are often mind blowing to a Gen X'er!

So, all this leads me back to the promotion of our services and resources, and in particular starting to promote our library online.  I have found a few local websites, and am going to put together some info and then email it to the powers that be.  If you have suggestions, or ideas that have worked well for you please feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment