Saturday, November 22, 2008

Unconference

Had a great time at the State library's Unconference on thursday.  I got to hear Erik and Jaap from the DOK Library Concept Center talk abit about their library, but mostly about the LBI Shanaachie Tour.  I really liked their ideas about 'making stories, telling stories and keeping stories'.  Library staff often have the most amazing stories to tell, so taking an active role in capturing this history is important.  They also talked about library as an experience, and what we can do as staff to facilitate this.

The rest of the day was broken down into concurrent sessions.  I learnt about meebo as a tool for online reference and the importance of evaluating any new programs and services that staff run.  I was absolutely amazed and inspired by Dave West and Anne Spelman from the Moreton Bay Regional Shire talk about the Mash it Up Festival. This project brings young people together and uses emerging technology and social networking in  new ways.  The staff from the State Library also did some presentations on some new tech tools which I also enjoyed.

In her post on encouraging organisational innovation Helene Blowers included this quote which to me sums up my day at Unconference. 
Learning and innovation go hand in hand.  The arrogance of success is to think that what you did yesterday will be sufficient for tomorrow. 
William Pollard
PS - Was so taken in by the day that I forgot to take photos - can you believe that?

No comments:

Post a Comment