Friday, December 12, 2008

Exceeding expectations

I  have been reading this book by Andrew Griffiths titled, '101 Ways to Really Satisfy Your Customers'.  His main point being that customer service is about exceeding your customer's expectations.  I have been thinking about this alot lately and believe that our work provides great customer service, but I have been wondering how many times we exceed our customer's expectations at the library?   From personal experience I know that if I have received bad customer service I often will not go back to the store, but I also tell others about it.  I also try really hard to do the opposite.  If I experience outstanding customer service, I try and tell as many people as I can.  I wonder how many people go home and talk about the service they received from our work?  Is it positive or negative?  Are they telling others?
I was so thrilled to read Catyquilter's blog post on this exact topic this morning.  One of Andrew's recurring themes in his book is You need to meet and, where possible, exceed your customer's expectations.  In Caty's post she states how a local Toowoomba business that she frequents regularly gave her a gift certificate as she was picking up a layby as a way of saying thank you for her patronage. Not only did she spend the money in their store, but she also went on to talk and blog about it.  In her post she comments on their staff and their products.  What a great story!  And no doubt I will find myself in their store for a look based on her experience.
Chapter 6 in the book is on face to face customer service.  So my goal for today is to encompass numbers 48-53 into my face to face interactions with our customers.  Be welcoming.  Be organised.  Be prepared to make a recommendation.  Talk to the cutomer, not through the customer.  Do something unexpected.  Remember to say thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment