Saturday, June 21, 2008

Wonderful Week 2


neon glow
Originally uploaded by yinyang
Another great week of prac! I can honestly say that I wake up each morning so excited about going to the Brisbane Square Library and what I am going to learn about each day. I feel truly lucky to be there.

Many people have asked why BSQ? To see first hand the concept of roving reference, which I first heard about in a library tour in 2004. It has been really interesting observing the reality of this service compared to the concept.
Secondly the notion of a floating collection and the many libraries that operate under the banner of Brisbane city council libraries. Our recent council amalgamations have meant we now have 8 or 9 (can't remember) libraries that will need to operate as one, with a floating collection, one library management system and lots of staff that will need to communicate with each other and get to know one another without feeling threatened .
Also, to see in action the concept of all staff being able to perform all duties whilst on the library floor. This works really well, and I have loved watching this process flow. Obviously great staff training and education needs to take place for this to exist, but from a customer's point of view imagine talking to a well trained staff member who can meet their information needs, be it for reference information or general enquiries as to how things work.

I have learnt heaps this week and am so looking forward to my last week there. I think it will be very hard for me to go back to my own workplace!

No comments:

Post a Comment